In Which I Talk About My WIP

 Greetings, friends! So, during my semi-hiatus, I did get to do a little more writing than usual, so I thought now would be a good time to talk about my WIP. So, here we are.
I stole  borrowed this tag from Christine's blog. Technically, you're supposed to do it doing NaNo, but I'm doing it now. 
What first sparked the idea for this novel?
I'm not....totally sure. I know the idea first came to me in November 2020. It came from me wanting to write a book with magical powers, and I've always liked elemental magic, so that's sort of how it got started. Originally, I'd imagined it as a TV show, actually, and it was just a fun idea to play around with in my head, but then I ended up tweaking it a little, and it's now it's a whole novel.
Share a blurb [or just an overall summary if you'd prefer]?
I think I'll probably just give a summery, honestly, because that's easier.
It's summertime. For most high schoolers. that means swimming, a nice break from classes, and hanging out with friends. For Harmony, Darcy, Tracy and Kimberly, it means dealing with their parents death. and the revelation that Kimberly accidentally gave them magical powers. As they meet Persephone and Robert Chang, two people who are determined to mentor them throughout this, they find out more about their powers, about a cult of evil Elementals, and an orb that identifies other potential Elementals and must be kept from Aaron [the leader of the evil Elementals] at all costs. Once Robert and Persephone disappear, however, it's up to them the four sisters to save them, and the world, all while battling grief and facing their own personal demons.
Where does the story take place? What are some of your favorite aspects about the settings?
It set in the US, so there's nothing particularly interesting about the setting. I do really like the Garcias' house, though. It's old and crumbly with a few secret passages, which I really like.
Tell us about your protagonists?
Harmony
ISFI/Mom Friend/2w1/Hufflepuff [like, so Hufflpuff]/Photographer/Animal Lover/Math Lover/Surprisingly Into Rock Music/Has A Kind of Boho Style/Puts Way Too Much Pressure On Herself/Cinnamon Roll and Human Ray of Sunshine, but not without her flaws
Darcy
Actually she's supposed to have brown eyes, but this is close to how I picture her.
INFP/Artist/Surprisingly Athletic/Either 4w5 or 9w8/Kind of Tempermental and Super Sensitive/Gay Disaster/Slightly Awkward/Loves Movies/Goth/Avoids Conflict at All Costs/Ravenclaw or Gryffindor
Kimberly
ESFP/7w8 or 8w7/Insanely Reckless/Drama Queen/Has A Heart of Gold and is Super Sweet/Fashionista and the girliest of the sisters/Cheerleader/Aspiring Fashion Designer/Will always stand up for her friends/Did I mention she's stubborn/Slytherin or Gryffindor
Tracy
ISTJ/Ravenclaw/Super Studious/Cares About the Rules, but Also Hates the Rules/Puts too much pressure on herself/Her style is tomboy casual/3w2, 1w2 or 6w5/Loves Her Sisters to Death/Insanely Loyal/Mega Geek and Fangirl/Interested in theater and cooking
They're adopted siblings, which is why they all look so different.
Who [or what] is the antogonist?
The antagonist is a man named Aaron. You don't actually meet him until the end of the book, but he's pretty evil. There are other Elementals who are also evil, and they sort of all work together. 
As for personal antagonists, the girls all have something that they wrestle with throughout the book. Harmony is something of a pushover, and assumes that she has to give up her own happiness constantly to help others. Darcy has huge problems speaking up or embracing herself the way she is. Tracy overworks herself, and spends so much time being careful, she forgets to live. Kimberly is way too reckless, and starts arguments constantly over very small things. 
What excites you the most about this novel?
The characters! They're all my smol babies, and I wuv them so much. *hugs them*
Also, I love their dynamics with each other! Plus, Elemental magic.That's something that I'm finding so interesting as I'm writing it. And it's the first real magical realism book I've ever written, and I'm very excited for it. 
Is this going to be a series? Standalone? Something else?
It's the first book in a trilogy! 
Are you plotting? Pantsing? Plantsing?
I am a hardcore plantster. I had the ending planned, as well as some things with the characters, and small details, but most of it, I'm just making up as I go away. It's quite entertaining [and also nerve-racking] to not really know what will happen next.
Name a few unique elements about the story?
It focuses on a group of adopted siblings. I feel like that's kind of unique in YA fiction. 
Also, there's the fact that the teensy bit of magic that this world has is from another world. I think that's a bit unique. 
I'm trying to make this a character-centric story where the interpersonal relationships, and the characters getting through things and getting stronger is a big theme, in addition to all the magic and fighting. Is that unique?
Share some fun extras of the story.
Well, I have a few songs I associate with the story, but not a lot. 
Here are the aesthetics for Harmony, Darcy, Kimberly and Tracy.



And here are a few songs that I associate with the story.
So, that's it. Um, let's chat. This is a tag that people usually use for NaNo WriMo, but steal it if you want to. 






























Comments

  1. When do I get to read this book :)?!?! Sounds like something I'd love! It's so great to read about your writing here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, whenever it gets published. Thanks! It was fun to write about.

      Delete
  2. Your WIP sounds awesome. :) Darcy is such a cool character, and I would love to learn more about her. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Hmm, maybe I'll do a character interview with the four MCs at some point.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. :)
      That would be awesome. Also, I love that you include "Speechless" on the songs that remind you of your story, because that is one of my favorite songs. :D

      Delete
    3. Hmm, I think I'll have to do that.
      Oh, thank you. It's one of my favorites, too.

      Delete
  3. Your WIP sounds incredible!! The characters all seem very interesting, and I love the magical realism aspect of it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole! It's so nice to see you again. Aw, thank you so much.

      Delete
  4. Ooh! I might do this tag, I need to get myself back to writing my own story at some point and maybe this will help. Although it's going to be unrelated from Nano.
    The descriptions of the characters sound really interesting. I love the song selection you have for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I'd love to read it. Thank you! The song selection was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  5. I'm so so so excited for your novel, and by reading this post it looks AMAZING! Also when I saw Unsaid Emily on the song list my heart literally broke in two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think out of all the Julie and the Phantoms songs Unsaid Emily is on my top three favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all of the songs. But Unsaid Emily is pretty great.

      Delete
  7. Your book sounds amazing!!!! I have never seen a book in ya about a group of adopted siblings. I think it’s really cool that you are writing in a genre where lots of books are similar, but paving your own path.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elementals and one of the characters is an artist. Love the sound of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Darcy is my precious sweet goth-y artist, and I love her very much (and all of them, really).
      Thank you!

      Delete
  9. I wanted to let you know I nominated you for the never have I ever book tag :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

The Fictional Character Tag

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy