Reviews of the two New Shows I've been Watching [Hint: You Should See Them]

Hello. So, remember when I reviewed Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D? Well, recently, I have been watching two new shows in addition to AoS so here are my reviews for them.

It’s like a fairytale but inside a TV show. How cool is that?
The plot overview is that a young woman named Emma Swan comes to a small town in Maine due to her son who she gave up for adoption ten years ago coming to find her, where he convinces her that all the people in the town are actually fairytale characters in our world, who don’t remember that they’re fairytale characters due to a curse the Evil Queen put on the town. 
It was created by Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitis, and stars Jennifer Morrison, Ginnifer Goodwin, Lana Parrilla, Jared S. Gilmore, Josh Dallas, Collin O’Donogue, Emilie de Raven, and Meghan Ory.
Pros
-The plot is really intricate. The details are spot-on, and the pacing is good. It keeps from being too fast or too slow
-The casting is great. Lana Parrilla makes Regina Mills/The Evil Queen a sympathetic character who is also a great villain. Jennifer Morrison is amazing as Emma Swan, and Ginnifer Goodwin captures Snow White’s character perfectly.
-It’s got sort of two stories going on at once. One in fairytale world, one in our world.
-You really get to know each one of the characters. Instead of focusing on one character, it’s focused on all of them at different times. Though, in our world, Emma tends to be the main character most of the time.
-The scenery is gorgeous. Not Avatar level but it really looks like how you’d imagine a fairytale kingdom

Cons
-Some episodes feel kind of flat. Not very many of them, but there have been a handful where I’m just like, ‘’Ugh, really?’’ Most of the episodes have a good storyline, a few do not.
-A few of the characters are just plain boring. It’s not common, but it happens enough that it’s annoying
That’s really all I dislike.
I would recommend OUAT if you like fairytales [Disney or otherwise], and other types of fantasy.
It’s also a good family show. There isn’t very much sexual content, violence, or language.
Not saying there’s none, but you could probably watch it with younger siblings.
I’d say this show is good for 9-10 +. I mean, if you’re a really mature 8 year old than maybe…..
You can watch Once Upon A Time on Netflix.
Next up, there’s…
Yeah, I know, I know. I was kinda hesitant about this show at first because I’m a Christian, and with the whole show being called Lucifer……
I did decide to watch it, and I’m glad I did.
The premise of the show is that Lucifer Morningstar is bored with being the Lord of Hell, and so he decides to ‘take a vacation’ to Los Angeles, where he opens a nightclub, and decides he wants to solve crimes with LAPD detective Chloe Decker to ensure that the right person is punished.
Also, Lucifer can make anyone tell him their greatest desire, and most people fall in love with him quickly. Chloe does neither, which makes him curious about him.
The series was created by Tom Kapinos, and stars Tom Ellis, Lauren German, Kevin Alejandro, D.B Woodside, Lesley-Ann Brandt, Scarlett Estevez, and Rachael Harris. Later additions [added in the second season which I haven’t gotten to yet] are Tricia Helfer, and Aimee Garcia.

Pros
-It’s hilarious. No, seriously, it has some really great humor
-The cast is so great. Tom Ellis plays the perfect Lucifer, who’s very charming and rebellious, and Lauren German is perfection as Chloe, the smart, serious, tough yet incredibly caring detective with great comebacks [‘’And what planet are you from? London?’’].
The supporting cast is great with kevin Alejandro as Chloe’s ex-husband Dan, D.B Woodside as the angel and Lucifer’s brother, Amenadiel, Lesley-Ann Brandt as Mazikeen, demon, torturer, ninja, bartender, and Lucifer’s protector, Scarlett Estevez as Chloe’s daughter, Trixie, and Rachael Harris as Lucifer’s therapist.
-The writing is really clever. It’s a cop show, with an ongoing story arc, supernatural subplot, and as I said, a lot of comedy
-The visuals seem to fit L.A well. At least the part of L.A filled with nightclubs
-Great characters, and I actually really like most of them
-It’s unique. I’ve never seen a show like it.
Cons
There isn’t anything I actively dislike. I mean, a few crimes weren’t as great as they could have been

It’s rated TV-14, and I understand why. There is some language and violence [nothing too graphic], and a lot of sex talk. I think the word sex is said multiple times per episodes, some characters [just Maze as a recurring character but some guest characters] wear very short, tight clothing. Also, some intencity with Lucifer being the Devil.
I don’t know if there’s a specific age I’d say not to see it at….. Maybe 12-13+? I don’t know.
It’s avaliable to watch on Netflix.
Again, I’ve only seen the first season of each show so maybe it goes downhill or gets better. I don’t know.
If either of these sound interesting to you let me know in the comments.

Comments

  1. I haven't seen either of these shows. But they sound interesting, weirdly Lucifer reminds me of a show called Sleepy Hollow where Ichabod Crane works as a detective to help solve paranormal crimes. (Which I have to say I love the idea of, I just wish the show had used less horror effects). It also slightly reminds me of Good Omens because Crowley (who is a demon) keeps making excuses of why he fell to begin with. But weirdly I see a similarity between that and Lucifer taking a vacation from being the Lord of Hell.

    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would like both of them. OUAT is sort of more mythology/fairytale based, and Lucifer is more a paranormal crime show.
    Oh, yeah, that is a pretty big similarity. He has a demon bodyguard on the show, Maze, and their interactions with Amenadiel are interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once Upon a Time sounds pretty cool, though I doubt I would ever watch Lucifer. I just, don't really want to watch shows about the devil you know? (I think the beginning of AoS season 4 is the most I want to see about the devil :)
    Sorry, I haven't been around on your blog so much, but I've been pretty busy. I'm hoping I'l be able to get on top of all my blog reading soon =) Also, I don't get emails when you post, so it's a bit harder to keep up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, Diamond, you would probably LOVE Once Upon A Time.
    Yeah, that was my nervousness about it. I feel like if God wants me to stop watching it then I will.
    That's actually the season I'm on now. It's getting more and more confusing but in a good way.
    Totally fine. I don't get emails when other bloggers on Blogger post. Maybe it's a glitch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think generally people don't get emails when a blogger blog posts, but I mostly follow Wordpress blogs. Though, I have been getting emails when certain blogs post, so I really don't know...

      Delete
  5. Hmm. Same. I get notifications whenever Quinley, Middle Earth Musician and JustAG post but not when Katie posts. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag

August Recap