6 Ways to Get People to NOT like Reading

Hi. This post is all about books.
So, do you like reading? Me too. Lately, I’ve heard complaints about how people don’t read enough and how soooooo many people ‘hate’ reading.
Actually, I think most people would like reading, if people stopped doing these things.
Note: This post is not meant to be offensive in any way. It’s kinda satire, so hopefully you’ll get a laugh or two out of this.

#1: Turning Reading Into a Competition
Because we all know the absolute best way to get anyone to read anything is to rub it in their faces that you’ve read precisely 1097867855543022,98765578900,32276473882922983744773, 467678.97658489330302094847457575757833902020 books just this last week, and then proceed to shame the slower readers and people who didn’t fully read that whole number. Right?
Right???
I agree with the Detective.  No problem with sharing your reading goals or what you’ve accomplished, but not everyone reads at lightspeed.
And bragging is only going to make people feel discouraged. Plus, it makes you sound reallllllllllllly obnoxious.


#2: Not Suggesting Fun Books

We probably all know one person who exclusively reads 16th century Icelandic poetry, love songs in a dead language, and 112,00000000 page books about Grunka the sailor that drag onnnnnn and onnnnn like this sentence.
Yes, Shakespeare is fun and great and awesome, but reading is supposed to be relaxing and fun. Maybe reading Icelandic poetry is relaxing to you [kudos, if it is] but since when has reading Harry Potter or The Hunger Games been bad? Sure, you won’t learn another language but you’ll learn some lessons on loyalty and maybe reading middle-grade or young-adult fantasy is just more interesting than hearing about how Grunka sat still for five hours, and hearing all of her thoughts described.

#3: Dissing Pop Culture
Not really being into YouTube or Marvel or social media or Star Wars or TV is pretty cool. And granted it does make you different. But that does not give you the rights to brag about how movies brought down society and books are the sole form of light in this dark world.
I mean, books are pretty cool but if you insult my precious, little, morally grey fictional friends who happen to be on TV than I will…..let’s just say you’d be lucky I don’t have superpowers.
Plus, you’re insulting Tricia Helfer, who’s super sweet, talented, funny, smart, strong, gorgeous, and is a literal goddess [she played one on Lucifer anyway]. Point is, just don’t act like you're better than everyone, and I’ll probably like you.
So, will all the book-readers. 
Pictures of Tricia Helfer now to prove how amazing she is.
See?

#4: Telling Non-Bookworms to Get Lost
Have you ever been in a library where you felt the shame for looking at the movies? Have you?
Readers are generally great and pretty cool, but I’ve met a few who are like, ‘’Oh my gosh, you don’t read every day for 123446677 hours???? How could your life be could? How could you be worthy?’’
I don’t think Thor’s read Pride and Predjudice [although, I could be wrong] and he’s still worthy.
So, encourage people to read without shaming non-readers.

#5: Go on and on about ‘the good old days’
This is something most likely heard from older people. Y’know, the ‘’When I was your age all I did was read, There was nothing else to do. I mean, despite the outdoors, craft materials, toys, and friends there was still nothing to do but read. Nowadays, everyone is on their phone.’’
Okay, I agree with some of this. And older generations didn’t have as much money but still they act like reading is all everyone should do. Plus, I personally don’t use my phone all that much. It’s just….ugh, this again?
See? Chloe agrees.

#6: Forcing books on them
If you like a book, than suggest it to someone politely.
Don’t force them to read it.
‘’What do you mean you haven’t read it? You must read it?’’
Maybe the person you’re suggesting it to, has already tried to read it and didn’t like it, or just didn’t care.
And you may be crushing their reading dreams because how dare they not read this one book????? The fate of the universe rests on them reading it and liking it. Whether they want to or not.
Yup. You read that right.
Whether they want to or not.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully made someone hate reading.

Hopefully you’ve learned a few things, and maybe had a good time?
C’mon, let’s hear some applause.
Nah. I don’t need applause, I had fun.
Oh, and also sorry I haven’t been posting as much on my doll blog. I might be getting a new doll, though. Yup. More info on that on my doll blog.
It’s pretty cool…..
Okay, I better end this post before I tell you all about it.
We’ll wrap things up with one last Chloe Decker GIF.

Did you enjoy this post? What are some of your reading pet peeves? Are you excited for Thanksgiving?









Comments

  1. OH, I missed this post somehow! Anyway, I realize not many people do read as much nowadays. But, I found making reading into a competition very retable, I happen to be a slow reader and the books I read are very long, so it is very difficult to read 100 books in a month. XD
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fine. Mostly because of smartphones. Yes, exactly. I'm a somewhat slow reader so I usually only read a few in a couple months.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag