5 YA Books I Loved and 5 I Hated

Hi. So turns out, I was able to post, after all. It’s just a little late. Sorry about that.
Anyway, I’m not a huge fan of YA fiction, but I have a few books that I really liked, and some I really hated so I thought I’d share them with you [I almost said y’all. Am I turning Southern or something?].
Ack. I got distracted again. On with the list.


Loved: The Lunar Chronicles 
For those of you who haven’t read them, The Lunar Chronicles is a fairytale retelling series. It kinda kicked off the fairytale trend, I think. Anyway, this series had great pacing, and great character development. It’s awesome, and I highly recommend them. Also, this series has THE BEST characters. There was just a lot of variety, which is always fun.
Hated: When Dimple Met Rishi
Okay, maybe I’m being a bit too harsh on this book, since it’s a contemporary, and a romance, two genres I usually don’t like. I did actually finish this one. Anyway, I really, really, really, really despise Dimple, the main character. She was a huge jerk, and was always whining, plus she was always mentioning that she liked STEM, and computers, and hated makeup, and oh, wasn’t she so much better than other girls. Like, yes, science is important, but art and reading are important, too, and I really don’t see the problems with makeup [I personally don’t wear it very much, but there’s nothing wrong with someone who does]. Oh, and Rishi couldn’t take no for an answer, and he was bland, so I didn’t like him either.


Loved: The Magnus Chase Series
I count this as a YA series, and it was great. The quest, the excitement, the humor, PERFECT.
Rick Riordan really knows how to make a book exciting. Also, this book had some great diversity. Hearthstone is deaf, and Samirah is Muslim. So, not much more I can say other than it was great, and I highly recommend it.
Hated: Twilight 
I’ll admit, I didn’t even finish Twilight. I read about 150 pages. It was just a bit too slow and romance-y for me.
Second of all, it was the most boring book I have ever read. Basically, a girl moved to a small town where it rained a lot, and there was a dude with sparkly skin. I’ve also heard that it glamorizes abuse, so, yeah, not something I’d want to read.
Loved: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
This…...does not seem like my type of book, at all. Seriously, it’s a coming-of-age story, and has no robots, explosions, serial killers, spaceships, or spies. I liked it anyway. It’s kind of a sweet story, although I found a few of the girls kinda annoying. Lena was sweet, Carmen was a little whiny but alright, ditto for Tibby, and Bridget is quite obnoxious. 
Hated: Fangirl
Am I way, way, way too hard on romance books? Yes. Am I going to stop? No.
First of all, I absolutely hated the way geeks/nerds/fangirls were portrayed. Yes, lots of people are shy, but you can be a geek and not be shy [like me] or you can be shy and not be a geek.
Also, I just felt like it dragged on, and almost all of the characters were extremely obnoxious. The only part I liked was Cath’s fanfiction.
Loved: The Maximum Ride series
These were the first YA books I read, I think, and I liked them. The writing style was sort of similar to Rick Riordan’s [these books are by James Patterson, btw]. They’re action-packed, and hilarious, and very sci-fi-y. Also, there’s a Tricia Helfer reference. I actually had to read that again to make sure I got it right. So, I love these books.
Hated: Insurgent
It was just boring. The first one was a bit cliche but still cool. The finale was great, too. The middle book was sadly lacking.
Loved: Pretty Little Liars
These books are insanely addicting. Basically, it’s a thrilling mystery with lots of plot twists. I was confused part of the time, but it ended up being a very interesting mystery. Also, I’ve heard there’s a TV show but it doesn’t sound as good as the books.


Hated: The Princess Diaries
Yes, there are books, too. The first one was great, and actually the first three were pretty good but after that it got boring and kinda dragged.

So what are your favorite and least favorite YA books? Thoughts on this list? 

Comments

  1. Hey McKayla! It's been a little while since I've commented. My life has been crazy, but I have read your last few posts(and enjoyed them :) I also have a lot of thoughts about this post, so here we go.

    I've recently gotten back into reading and I don't think I will ever enjoy another book as much as I've enjoyed the Lunar Chronicles!

    I actually have quite a few books on this list. Like, Divergent, Twilight, and Percy Jackson.(although that one isn't technically on the list.

    I don't like books that aren't sci-fi or fantasy much either to be honest.

    Is Twilight really that bad? I mean I got it for $3 at a used bookstore, so I didn't waste a lot of money on it, but my mom said it was good. I could have sworn you mentioned it in one of your posts, but maybe that was someone else.

    I'm actually kind of excited to read Divergent though. It just seems interesting to me, and I remember liking the movie.

    I'm currently reading the Hunger Games, which I'm enjoying for now.

    I have way too many books to read...

    Anyway, I hope you enjoy long comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Diamond. Thanks for commenting.
    Same. I mean, I like some but not a whole lot.
    Divergent (the first book) is really interesting, and the finale is great, too. It's just the middle book was lacking a bit.
    Twilight wasn't really my style but it had a very interesting premise and concept. I just don't have the patience to read long books. It also depends on what you think of romance.
    Yes, I did really like The Hunger Games.
    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Percy Jackson , but I never liked Tuck Everlasting partly because of the huge age gap in Winnie's and Jesse's romance, also because Winnie just describes how "beautiful" he is non-stop. I loved Percy Jackson though because of the Greek gods that are the main part of the plot and all the references to Greek mythology, though it wasn't the way I got into Greek mythology, it is cool to find a book series that is centered around it.

    As for the books on the list, I am currently reading Twilight just to see what it is like before I go out and say I don't like it, it follows the logic in a way of a Hallmark romance with vampires (too bad they can't turn into bats though) and were-wolves, though the vampires seem a little Gary and Mary Sueish at times. "He was perfect, with his sparkly skin" something along those lines...

    As for The Magnus Chase Series I really want to read it, sometime, since I love Norse mythology and want to see what the Norse gods do in this novel series, but I first need to finish The Heroes of Olympus which I haven't quite gotten around to yet. (I read a few of the books and I liked them, but then I began to read other books).

    This was a fun post, McKayla. :)

    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks, Quinley.
    Yes, Percy Jackson is great.
    Age-gap relationships can be frustrating but I don't mind it if the characters are both adults (say 40 and 55).
    Same. I wanted to try it out first. I guess it is kinda Hallmark-y, but I've never really watched Hallmark movies so I wouldn't know. It does have a cool premise.
    Oh, yeah, it is kinda that way.
    You would like Magnus Chase, I think. It's very exciting, and very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, McKayla. :)
      Agreed.
      True it is better that way, in the book though they made it that Winnie was a ten year old falling in love with a seventeen year old who is actually much older than that because he can live forever. O.O Which is mildly creepy.

      It does have an interesting premise, when reading it though, I am trying to focus on the positive elements so if anyone says they are reading it or have read it and liked it, I don't outright insult them for liking the book. The logic of the book is kinda something that can't really be questioned or you just stare at the book wondering how everything is happening in it or why Bella loves this guy. I don't think it is a favorite book though, and I am not sure if once I finish it if I would read it again.
      (But, if you want to laugh over Twilight I recommend watching these two YouTube videos "How Twilight Should Have Ended" by HISHIE and "Twilight Doesn't Make Any Sense" by Alex Myers, if you haven't already watched them).

      I am looking forward to reading Magnus Chase sometime, in the near future. :)

      -Quinley

      Delete
    2. *Meyers, I forgot that there was an extra e in his name.

      Delete
  5. Oh, wow, that is kinda creepy.
    True. There are a few good parts. There are lots of popular books that I don't like. I just didn't care for it, and never finished the series.
    Okay, cool. I'll have to check out those videos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lunar Chronicles were really good! I don't think that I'd like any of the ones you hated, either. I really like the movie The Princess Diaries, but I've heard that the books are not nearly as good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes!
    Yeah, the first one I liked but the movie was way better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag