My Ten Favorite Live-Action TV Shows [August 2020 Edition]

 Hello. So, today, I'm going to be listing ten of my favorite TV shows, and why they're my favorites. And, for simplicity's sake, I'm just doing live-action ones. Oh, and this isn't in any particular order [I had to narrow it down to ten, no way am I doing it any more].

#10: Warehouse 13

Warehouse 13 is a sci-fi/fantasy adventure show. It was on the Syfy channel, and ran for five seasons. The basic plot is that Secret Service agents, Pete Lattimer and Myka Bering, are recruited to join a warehouse that stores all types of supernatural [and often dangerous objects], and work with grumpy and aloof Artie, and sweet and calm Leena. A few episodes in they add another character, Claudia, a rock-loving tech geek, and guitar player/singer, and in Season Three, Steve Jinks. 
Warehouse 13 explores all types of wild, exciting, and often hilarious plots, but in sort of a scientific way. It's like The Librarians in some ways, but it placed more of an effort on science and technology, instead of magic. The characters are all very likable, and there's not a boring episode in the series. In my opinion, it was a very well-done series, and could have actually gone on for another season or two.
#9: Leverage
Leverage is definitely one of the greatest shows of all time. It centers around a team of criminals [Sophie, the gryfter, Elliot, the hitman, Hardison, the hacker, Parker, the thief, and Nate, a former insurance agent and the only non-criminal]. They commit crimes [mostly stealing] in order to help people. So, sort of like Robin Hood. The opening theme describes it best [The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you]. The characters are great, and, like in most good shows, while they're great separately, they're amazing together. The plots are interesting, and it plays kind of like a heist movie, which is awesome. 
#8: Chuck and Burn Notice

Yup, I cheated [so I guess this makes this list my eleven favorite shows]. I thought it was appropriate to put them together, as they're both great action/spy shows, that were done in very different ways.
Burn Notice is almost like a procedural, and the tone reminds me of Leverage, in a lot of ways, 
It's also more of a drama. The characters are great, the casting for that show is incredible, and, like Leverage, I like seeing the team figure things out. 
Chuck is more of a comedy, though it has its dramatic moments. Even the basic plot [nerdy guy becomes a spy] is more funny. The main cast is smaller, but it has a huge ensemble cast, and there's usually multiple plot lines [one spy one, one non-spy one]. Anyway, I enjoy both of these shows, and seeing the differences between them. And, the fight scenes? Epic.
Also, Tricia Helfer is in both of these shows. Coincidence? Probably not.
#7: The Librarians
Like Warehouse 13, The Librarians involves a building that houses out-of-control magical artifacts, and a team of people who find them. Only instead of a warehouse, it's a library. All of the characters who are on the team are extremely smart [Ezekiel in tech, Cassandra in math and science, Stone in history and foreign languages, and Flynn in a variety of subjects. Eve's the Guardian, so while she's not stupid, she mostly does the fighting]. Anyway, The Librarians was the first show I ever got 'into,' and that's pretty special. Also, the characters are great, and the plots are also great. I love the magical part of this, and the action adventure part [because I really, really love fight scenes]. This amazing show also manages to be sweet without being sappy.
#6: Parks and Recreation
Parks and Recreation is a comedy series, centered on Leslie Knope, an extremely cheerful, organized and hardworking woman who loves her government job, and her crazy friends and co-workers [lazy, yet hilarious Andy, health nut Chris, nerdy Ben, apathetic and moody April, sweet and helpful Ann, wacky and pop-culture-obsessed Tom, anti-government manly man Ron, and Jerry, who always messes everything up]. It's a sweet show, and a little less cynical than similar comedies, but it is still absolutely hilarious, and is definitely worth a watch. The characters and acting are great, and it's just an all-around great show.
#5: Lucifer
Okay, the premise of Lucifer was such a creative idea. And while I don't like it as much as BSG or Parks and Rec, it's definitely one of my favorites. The last few seasons weren't as good, but when it's good, it's really good.
Also, Tricia has a starring role, which is awesome, and all of the characters are so complex [even if some of them are annoying at times. I like the crime part, I like the humor, I like the drama, I like the supernatural parts, so I like just about everything, I guess.
#4: Glee
Glee is an awesome comedy/drama/musical series. It's about a music teacher named Will Schuester, and the group of kids in the Glee Club. All types of storylines happen, ranging from dramatic to comedic to everything in between. It's hilarious, the music is great, and the characters are also really great [I could make a whole post just on my favorite Glee characters]. Kurt is really great, Mercedes is pretty cool, and, honestly, Brittany and Santana are the best part of the show. 
#3: Lost
Lost is an action/adventure sci-fi show about a group of plane crash survivors stuck on a mysterious island. There's an absolutely huge cast of characters [most of which are well-developed], and I love the main plot. Also, Lost is super addicting, so plan out some extra time to watch this amazing show. It's so hard to comment on Lost, because there are so many spoilers, so just take my word for it. It's really good. Also, it is very confusing at times, which I actually like.
#2: Firefly
Firefly is definitely an amazing show. It mixes science fiction and Western, two very different genres. It's set in the future, and is about a renegade crew who divide their time between stealing, and doing anything to mess with the Aliance. All the characters are great, I enjoy almost all of the episodes, and it's just such a fun show to watch. I wish it'd had more seasons.
#1: Battlestar Galactica
Okay, if I only had to pick one show, that show would definitely be Battlestar Galactica, for several reasons. 
A} It's sci-fi [I think there's definitely a pattern here.....]
B}It has great fight scenes, space battles, and an overall sense of adventure
C} The characters are AMAZING and they're all so well-developed. Even the side characters, or characters that I personally don't like. And that's hard to do.
D} It talks about lots of important things, like what does it really mean to be human. Again, it's really hard to do that without being preachy, but this show does it so well.
And, of course, my favorite actress of all time, Tricia Helfer is in it.
What are some of your favorite shows? Have you seen any of these?









Comments

  1. I've been meaning to watch Leverage! It just looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leverage, Burn Notice, and Chuck are such good shows. :) I've actually been rewatching Leverage recently and I love watching it for the story and the characters, also Parker is such a good character.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, agreed.
    Ooh, yes, I hadn't watched Leverage in awhile, but my sister was watching it, and I was like, "Oh, yeah. I forgot how much I love this show." She definitely is.
    You should totally see the others. They're really good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag