Movie Review: Mean Girls [2004]

 Hi. So, as you probably know, I am a MASSIVE fan of Mean Girls: The Musical. So, last night, my sisters and I watched Mean Girls, and I thought you might want to know my thoughts about it.

Rating: PG-13
Genre: Comedy
Length: 1 hour, 37 minutes
Writer: Tina Fey
Director: Mark Waters
Cast: Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Lacey Chabert, Amanda Seyfried, Lizzy Caplan, Tina Fey,Jonathan Bennett, Amy Poehler, Daniel Franzese
Summary: When naive homeschooler Cady Heron goes to school for the first time, she tries to help her two new friends, Janis and Damian, get revenge on the Plastics, a group of mean girls who rule the school, but ends up becoming Plastic in the process.
My Thoughts: So, Mean Girls is a super famous movie, and you've most likely heard of it, or heard some of the more famous quotes. And, of course, like with most things that are famous, some people will like it, some won't. I, personally, thought it was so fetch. Of course it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'll definitely watch it again. And again. And probably again. The humor in Mean Girls really appealed to me, and I laughed a lot. It's also a very clever movie [I mean, it was written by Tina Fey, so, of course it's clever and funny].

 And it's so quotable. I've quoted it so many times already, and I just saw it last night.
And the GIFs. There are so many great GIFs. This movie is kind of stereotype-heavy, but it's one of those movies that makes fun of everything, so it makes sense. And the story does have a good message in the end [don't be mean], but it's not chalk-full of sweetness and inspiration.
I also think all of the actors did a fantastic job, so kudos to them. And, also, there's apparently a Mean Girls day, so be sure to wear pink on October 3. I loved seeing Amy Poehler in something besides Parks and Rec. She's really funny in this movie.
Of the characters, Janis is my favorite, but I also really like Gretchen and Karen. 


Mean Girls is rated PG-13, as mentioned above, but it is REALLY PG-13, so if you're under 18 you should probably ask a parent before you see it. 
I thought it was a good movie, and I would recommend it, but it is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. 
Characters
Cady Heron is the main character. She's a sweet and naive former homeschooler who loves math [any chance you could send some of that math talent my way?]. I liked Cady, though she wasn't my favorite, and I found ''Plastic' Cady really annoying. Still, for most of the movie, she's very likable, and she's a good character.
Regina George is the school's queen bee, and she's easily the meanest Plastic. Regina is super iconic, and she's a great villain. She's very catty and aggressive, and she is the queen of social standing and manipulation. It would be a stretch for me to say I liked Regina, but she was a good character.


Gretchen Wieners is basically Regina's sidekick. She's insecure, attention-loving, and definitely a follower. Gretchen had some of my favorite lines in the movie, her actress did an amazing job, and she's a really good character. I do feel bad for Gretchen a lot throughout the movie.
Karen Smith is your typical dumb blonde [even though she looks brunette in this picture], and she's not really mean at all, even though she's a Plastic. Most of her humor comes through her dumbness. She also seems to be good friends with Gretchen.
Like I said earlier, Janis is my favorite. I think I related to her the most (since we're both artistic, sarcastic rebels). I also liked her character a lot. And she has so many iconic quotes. Even though she can be kind of a mean girl in her own right, it seemed like she usually had good intentions, unlike Regina.


Damian had a smaller part in the movie, but I loved him so much. He was hilarious, and one of the few characters that was genuinely nice. Is there a Janis and Damian spin-off? 'Cause I'd watch that. Anyway, I thought Damian was a really good character, and he had some of the best lines. 
So, have you seen Mean Girls? What did you think of it? If not, do you want to?






















Comments

  1. I didn't like this movie, but that's because it's not my type of humor plus the content bothered me too much. But, I appreciate the message of not being mean and how I now understand all of the references. What I did like was reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there was a lot of content in this movie.
    Yeah. It's good to watch it at least once, because people quote it so much.
    Aw, thanks. And thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't watched Mean Girls but I heard good things about it.
    Your review was fun to read, McKayla. :)
    -Quinley
    P.S. Your review of Legally Blonde got me interested in the movie enough that I decided to watch it, and really enjoyed it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I think it's pretty popular. You totally should, it's hilarious.
    P.S. Aw, thanks. I'm so happy that you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh, yay. That song is so fetch!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag