Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season One [Review]

 Hello. So this month I started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I've been wanting to watch it for a long time, but I didn't have the chance to. But then my family got Hulu, and, since it was free, I decided to start watching it. Also, Happy Halloween if you celebrate it. Since the whole show is very fitting for Halloween (especially Season Two, Episode Six, but we're just talking about the first season today) I decided to review it today. You'll get to see my costume during MC's blog party. Which means I'll probably be halfway through Season Three by the time I post this, but whatever.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer was created by Joss Whedon, and stars Sarah Michelle Geller, Nicholas Brendon, Alyson Hannigan, David Boreanaz, Charisma Carpenter, and Anthony Stewart Head. 
Summary: In every generation there is a chosen one known as the Slayer. The Slayer must fight and kill vampires, witches, werewolves, and all other kinds of supernatural creatures. This time it just so happens to be sixteen-year-old Buffy Summers. With the help of her friends, Buffy must fight off all the monsters to keep the town of Sunnydale safe.
My Thoughts: Buffy is a fantastic show [so far, at least], and I'm so glad I started watching it. If you're a Joss Whedon fan, you'll probably like this show. It's very well-know, so you've most likely either seen it or have at least heard of it. Also, I didn't mean to start watching this show so close to Halloween, since I never do seasonal watching, but it worked out perfectly. 
What I Liked
-The characters! Characters are the most important part of a story for me, so a book/show/movie must have good, well-written characters for me to like it. All of the main characters are so interesting and entertaining. I love all of them [even Cordelia, though it definitely takes awhile to warm up to her].
-The story
The story is a really interesting idea, and the individual episodes have good plots as well. It's the first season, and usually those have somewhat weaker plots compared to the other seasons, so if it starts out this well I'm excited for what will come next.
-The fantasy
Sooo, I am a fantasy fangirl. I mean it. It's probably my favorite genre. Stories with monsters, vampires and werewolves have always appealed to me, but I'm a wimp when it comes to horror. You see my problem? The fantasy is one of my favorite things about Buffy. And it's not really scary [I mean, it might be to some people, but I didn't find it scary].
-The fight scenes
I've mentioned before that I love fight scenes, and Buffy has some amazing ones. Since it is about fighting and killing vampires this is to be expected.
-Buffy herself
I know I mentioned characters already, but Buffy is such a likable heroine, and you can't help but love her.
What I Didn't Like
I honestly can't think of anything that I didn't like. Maybe I'm a terrible critic or maybe the show's just that good. Either way, I don't think there's anything that I don't like.
Characters
Buffy Summers is the main character, and, like I said, she's a great heroine. She is understandably conflicted about being the Slayer at times, which is realistic. She didn't come across as whiny or bratty, but she didn't seem perfect either. She seemed like a real person. Also, I love that she's a bit of a girly girl in addition to being the Slayer [there are way too many Not Like Other Girls in media, and honestly I'm sick of it]. 
Xander Harris is one of Buffy's best friends. He is hilarious, and kind of reminds me of Wash from Firefly. He's a little bit goofy, but he's very brave, and he's very nice most of the time. It's hard to explain Xander, but he's a good character. And very likable.
Willow Rosenberg is Buffy's other best friend. She's shy and pretty nerdy. She's also very sweet. Unlike Buffy, who does the fighting, and Xander, who would prefer to do the fighting, Willow mostly does research and helps Giles. She does get involved in the action from time-to-time, though.
Rupert Giles is a Watcher, which means his job is to watch out for Buffy. He does most of the research, and stays mostly behind the scenes. He's very old-fashioned, and he thinks that books are the solution to everything [kinda have to agree with him there]. He's a good character. and I like him.
Cordelia Chase is.....interesting, that's for sure. She undergoes a lot of character development just in the first season. She starts off as your stereotypical mean popular girl, but there's a lot more to her character. She can actually be quite helpful and does have a nice side to her. And she is quite funny at times.
Ah, Angel. I had to include him because he's such a good character, but he's so hard to explain. For one thing. he's a super complex character [and we all know how much I love those], and it's hard to explain anything about him without giving away spoilers. Just let me say that he's a good character, and I like him.
My Favorite Episodes: Welcome to the Hellmouth, The Harvest, Witch, Angel, The Pack, I Robot You Jane, The Puppet Show, Nightmares, Out of Mind Out of Sight, Prophecy Girl
So, Buffy's a very good show, and I'd definitely recommend it. If content bothers you, then you don't have to worry about it because there isn't much in Buffy. I don't think it's scary, but it really depends on the person.
Also, before you leave, here's my favorite Halloween song of all time. 
Yes, this totally counts. She literally says Happy Halloween during the song. 

So, what do you think? Have you seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Do you want to?














Comments

  1. I hope you had a Happy Halloween, McKayla. :) I really liked reading your review, I haven't seen Buffy but it sounds like an awesome show. And at the moment I am getting more interested in stories involving Vampires (I just finished reading The Vampyre so).

    Also Buffy sounds like a cool character, and I love when characters are complex like that.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did. Awww, thank you.
    It's a really good show. I think you'd really like it.
    She is such a complex character. They all are.
    Me tooo. It makes them more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this show! The earlier seasons are definitely my favorite, but the characters are so strong that I love all the ones I've seen so far. Buffy being a girly girl is fantastic and Angel is really great too.
    Giles is possibly my favorite especially how he becomes Buffy's father figure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The characters are really great in Buffy. I liked the first season a lot, but so far I like the second one even better.
    Yesss. Angel's so interesting.
    Giles is great. Yes, his dynamic with Buffy is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this show. And I love its spinoff, Angel, even more. The writing is EVERYTHING that I love: smart, witty, sarcastic, jam-packed with cultural references, and brimming with excellent characters. I adore Angel, love Willow and Xander and Giles and Oz and Spike, and like Buffy and Cordelia acceptably well. Mmmmm, such a fantastic show. I love that both it and Angel are on Amazon Prime right now too. I would say seasons 2 and 3 of Buffy are my favorites, and seasons 2 and 5 of Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IT'S SO GOOD. Yesss to everything you said. It's amazing.
    Yes, they're all such good characters.
    Season Two is really good. I'm loving it so far. I'll definitely have to watch Angel. I love his character, and the show looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angel spins off after the end of season 3 of Buffy, so don't start it too early or you'll be confused ;-)

      Delete
  7. Ohh, that makes sense. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag