Movie Review: Enola Holmes

 Hello, and happy Sunday. Yesterday, I watched Enola Holmes with my family, and, since lots of you are Sherlock Holmes fans, I decided to review it. Before we start, don't forget to comment questions for my Q&A. If you want to, of course. 
Enola Holmes was directed by Harry Bradbeer, written by Jack Thorne, and stars Millie Bobby Brown, Louis Partridge, Henry Cavill, Sam Claflin, Helena Bonham Carter, Burn Gorman, and Adeel Akhtar. 
Summary: When Enola Holmes---Sherlock's teen sister---discovers that her beloved mother is missing, she sets off to find her, all while avoiding going to finishing school, and unraveling a dangerous conspiracy around a mysterious young Lord.
My Thoughts: So, I thought this was a pretty good movie. It's not perfect, nor is it my favorite movie ever, but it's good. If you're a Sherlock fan, then this would be perfect.
What I Liked: 
-Enola herself. I haven't seen Millie Bobby Brown in anything else, but she did a very good job, and she 's very talented. I have a feeling that she'll be the next ''it girl'', and I hope she does, because, like I said, she's very talented. 
I mentioned that her actress was talented, but I didn't mention that Enola was a very good character. She's smart, and she's very well-written. 
-The martial arts scenes. 
There's not that many of them, but I really liked them. I do martial arts [or did, before COVID], so I always like seeing fight scenes in movies.
-The costumes.
If I'm being honest, I don't usually care about costumes very much, but these were beautiful.
I mean, look at that dress.
-The story idea. It was an interesting concept, and was executed very well. 
-The scenery
Again, I usually don't pay attention to scenery in movies, but it was all so lovely, that I really liked it.
-The cast.
The actors all did a good job, and I think they were chosen wisely.
-It was entertaining. 
It kept my attention, and I liked watching it. 
I liked it, and I had fun watching it.
What I Didn't Like
-The mystery
Don't get me wrong, it was well-written, and I liked it, but it didn't feel like a Sherlock Holmes mystery [and maybe it shouldn't, since it's Enola, not Sherlock]. It's not the actual plot I have a problem with, it just didn't have the Sherlock Holmes feel that I love.
-Mycroft. This is my least favorite interpretation of his character. I mean, he's supposed to be somewhat antagonistic in this version, but I just didn't like him.
-It was missing something. 
I enjoyed watching it, but I couldn't come up with much that I really liked or disliked about it. It felt like something was missing. I'm not sure what it is, but it was something.
Overall, I'd say that Enola Holmes is a good movie. It's not great, it's not my favorite movie ever, but it's a nice movie, and it was fun to watch. 
Have you seen Enola Holmes? Do you want to? Are you a Sherlock Holmes fan?




Comments

  1. I haven't seen the movie yet, but there is a book series you may want to check out that stars Enola. That you might like. I have only read the graphic novel version of it, but it's really good.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, yes, I heard that it was a book series, but I haven't read them yet. I'll have to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this one, it's definitely quirkier than most Sherlock adaptations.
    It is a fun one.

    for the Q/A

    What made you get into martial arts?
    Favorite movie?
    Favorite book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it definitely is. I really liked it, too.
    Thanks so much for your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister told me about this one and it looks fun. The costumes alone are great. I'll have to try it sometime. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, you should. It's very good.
    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

The Fictional Character Tag

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy