2020 Recap

 Well, 2020 has certainly been an.....interesting year, hasn't it? It wasn't all bad, though. I mean, the pandemic was bad, obviously, but there were definitely good parts of the year, too. I've been extremely lucky throughout COVID. I haven't gotten sick, no one I know has gotten sick, and I have a safe house to live in. The worst thing I've come down with is Cabin Fever. I know this year has been so hard for so many of us, so, to all of you who've lost jobs or loved ones because of COVID, I'm praying for ya. Anyway, let's see how my 2020 was.
Books/Music/Movie/TV statistics of 2020
So, in 2020 I read 77 books, watched 68 movies, listened to 17, 262 minutes of Spotify, and watched a lot of TV shows that I'm too lazy to list. So, in short, I did a lot with various media forms. Oh, and, by the way, the ten favorites things aren't in the order that I like them in...just the order that I thought of them is.
My Ten Favorite New-To-Me Books of 2020
Little Women
The Miseducation of Cameron Post
The Last Summer of the Garrett Girls
The Reader
Of Thorn and Thread
Lovely War
Stalking Jack the Ripper
The Book Thief
To All the Boys I've Loved Before series
The Missing series
My Ten Favorite New-to-Me Movies of 2020
Jumanji: The Next Level
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Captain America and the Winter Soldier
Mean Girls
Beetlejuice
Heathers
The Breakfast Club
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
The Matrix
Knives Out 
Edward Scissorhands (yes, I know this makes eleven, but I only had nine TV shows, so it all balances out).
My Ten Favorite New-to-me Music Artists of 2020
Mean Girls: The Musical
Heathers: The Musical
Hamilton
Beetlejuice: The Musical
Six
Bring It On: The Musical
The Runaways
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Dear Evan Hansen
Newsies
My Ten Favorite New-to-Me Shows of 2020
Have I even watched ten new shows this year? We'll see.
Firefly
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Lost
Community
Parks and Recreation
Anne With An E
Riverdale
Warehouse 13
Glee
Yes, I know, that's only nine, but I don't remember seeing any other new shows, so, if I did, they clearly didn't make a big impression on me. 
Life Stuff
A lot of bad stuff happened in 2020, but there was lots of good stuff, too. Here were some of the highlights of my year:
-Going bowling. I've only gone bowling once before, but we got to go twice, despite the pandemic. And I won once.
-Hiking. 
So, this one day my dad and I went on this really long hike. It was exhausting, but fun. Actually, when I think of fun, that day is one of the first things that come to mind. 
-Fandoms
Would this even be a McKayla post if I didn't mention fandoms? Definitely one of the highlights of every year, but especially this one. 
-Journaling
I don't really like calling it journaling because that makes it sound more fancy and aesthetic than mine is. Basically, I started a diary in July, and that's actually been a pretty big comfort this year. It's very strange and rant-y. If you like to write, I'd definitely recommend starting one. You can pretty much say whatever you want about anything because it's not like anyone is going to read it.
-Blogging
I honestly don't think I could say that 2020 was a decent year without you guys. I've been actually commenting on blogs, and I feel like I've met so many new people and made so many new friends! You all are the sweetest, and reading all of your lovely comments on my posts has been a highlight of this whole year. 
-Writing
I'm really proud of my current WIP. It's a lot of work to write, but it's fun, and I love all of my characters so, so much! I was having a lot of trouble with it earlier this month, so I decided to take a break from it for the rest of the month, and I've been working on this very strange fanfiction that I'm also proud of. Like, it's an odd crossover, but I also kind of love it. 
-Martial arts. So, classes stopped early this year, but I kept on practicing all year. Hopefully I'll get to go back to it soon, but at least I haven't forgotten what I learned. 
How I've Changed In 2020
I think I've changed a lot this year, actually. Most of it was good, though, so don't worry. 
-I stopped doing some things. Do you guys remember how at the beginning of this year I had about a billion hobbies? I mean, I still have plenty of hobbies, but it's not nearly as many. Most people think of stopping hobbies as a bad thing, but for me, it was a really good thing. It gave me more time, for one thing, and now I can focus more on my passions. 
-I'm no longer in that super-annoying ''not like other girls'' phase. 
See, less year [and for a good portion of this year], I thought that being less girly was good. I mean, being a tomboy or just not a girly girl is perfectly fine, but it's not me. I've been thinking of making a post about this, actually. Would you guys like to see that?
-I'm less stressed out. 
At the beginning of this year, I was having a lot of worries about the future. Sometime during December that just stopped. I'm not sure why, but it did. I say it's a Christmas miracle. I'm less nervous about the future, and time moving forward. Less stress and anxiety is always good.
-I think I'm a better writer
Okay, honestly, have my blog posts gotten better since the start of this year? I feel like maybe they have. For one thing, I've actually started editing my posts. For another, I take more time to write them, so they're longer. Lastly, I post more often. 
I feel like my stories are better quality, too. I've gotten more patient, and I can actually wait and make my characters fall in love slowly, instead of just shoving them together. And, yes, it's hard (especially this one fanfiction ship. It is so hard to wait to make them a couple. Like, c'mon guys, Tara and Willow already ship you, so get together. And, in case you're confused, yes, one of the fandoms in the crossover fanfic is Buffy the Vampire Slayer]. 
-I've put a lot less pressure on myself.
Kind of related to my other points, but I think I'm a little bit more relaxed.
So, those are the main ways I've changed in 2020. I think I always change quite a bit each year.
How I Did on my 2020 Goals
Not gonna lie, I kind of forgot about these, so I doubt I accomplished very many of these, but let's take a look anyway. 
Eat Healthier-ish
The 'ish' part is because I wasn't planning on not having sugar or bread or having a strict diet or anything. Anyway, this is one that I did not accomplish, but that's alright. 
Watch More Movies and Read More Books in Different Genres
This one I actually did! I feel like I've been trying a lot of new things media-wise, and I've really enjoyed most of them. 
Watch the Rest of the Marvel movies
I'm pretty sure I did this one. So many good movies! 
Try New Things and Have Lots of Adventures
*shakes head* Oh, you poor, naive child. You had no idea about COVID then. I mean, COVID definitely didn't help with this, but I did try as many new things as I could during a pandemic so I'm counting this as half-completed. 
Go Outside For A Little Bit Each Day
I don't know if it was everyday, but it was a lot. Yay, nature. 
Join New Fandoms
I mean, duh. I don't know why this was even a goal. I always do this. Yearly, monthly, weekly, etc. 
I'm surprised how well I did on these since I, y'know, forgot about them partway through January. 
I don't really want to have a lot of goals this next year, so I only have a few goals. 
-Eat healthier-ish and stick with it this time
-Spend more time with God
-Be a nicer person
-Stop procrastinating
So, yeah, that was my 2020. How did your year go? What are your goals for 2021?



Comments

  1. Happy New Year's, McKayla. :D
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not a bad year. You did more things than I did. I was too lazy to go out, well, more fear than laziness, I suppose.

    Seeing those shows on your list reminds me of a show. Have you ever seen 'Pushing Daisies'? I love that show though it was cancelled too early - it's a quirky show about a guy who makes pies and he can also bring back the dead with a touch of his finger. He brought back the girl he had a crush on but he can't touch her because if he did, she would die again for good. I think you might enjoy that one.

    I like your confidence about being a better writer. I also think I'm a better writer than before but I don't know. At least, I can now spell 'of course' correctly which no one ever try to correct me on.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it was actually a pretty good year, all things considered.
    I've never seen that show, but it sounds like something I might like. I love quirky shows. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Thanks! Well, we've all definitely had lots of time to practice this year.
    Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a good year, despite everything going on. Getting out of the "I'm not like other girls' phase is such a moment. And it really changes your perspective.
    Hope 2021 is fantastic for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did! There were definitely bad parts of the year, but it was actually pretty good (for me, at least).
    It is. It feels fantastic. It really does.
    Thanks. You too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year!

    I'm really glad 2020 has been a good year for you overall. You've done so much this year!
    I feel like I've been several different people this year, which is probably character growth, but it's sometimes weird to look back on XD

    The way you organized this post was clever. I've been trying to do a 2020 wrap-up post but I've been struggling. I might try do something similar if that's okay with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you, too.
    Yeah, it was, despite the pandemic. Aw, thank you.
    Oh, yes, definitely. XD.
    Thanks! Ooh, I'd love to see a wrap-up post from you.
    Oh, that's absolutely fine. Go ahead, if you think this would make it easier or more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never commented on this? Weird. Anyway, great stats! I'm glad that I made so much progress on the Marvel movies, too. I'm glad that you're more relaxed! I'm been struggling with that, but it's a on going thing. I would be interested in the post idea that you suggested. I'm going to try to stop procrastinating this year, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, it's totally fine.
    Thanks! Yess, there are so many, and they're such good movies.
    Aw, thank you. Definitely. I still struggle with it some days, but it's definitely easier now.
    Okay, I have an idea for a post like that, so I'll try and write it.
    It's hard, but I think it's a good goal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag

August Recap