My Favorite Christmas Movies + Why I Love Them

Hello everyone, and welcome to the first of several Christmas posts that I'll be doing. I meant to make this post earlier, but then I got sidetracked [mostly with making presents], and ran out of time. Oh, well. I'm doing it now [three days before Christmas. WHAT????]. Basically, this is me listing all of my favorite Christmas movies, and why I like them, plus a fun fact/story about them if there is one. These are just my personal favorites. It's not a list of recommendations or anything like that. 
*clears throat*
So, let's get started.
Elf
I think I saw Elf for the first time when I was nine [I may have been ten. Or eight. I just know I was around that age], and I loved it right away. It's super goofy, Buddy is hilarious, and so much fun to quote [There are so many good ones that it would take too long to write them all down]. It's also a really sweet movie, I love the scenery and Christmas atmosphere, and it's just good, old-fashioned fun.
Random Story/Fact Related To Elf: Well. One time [I have no idea what year it was. It could've even been that same year], my mom was talking about Santa, and I yelled, ''Santa!'' really, really, really loudly [it's an Elf quote, you see], and totally freaked out everyone else at the breakfast table, especially my mom. 
Just like that.
Home Alone
Home Alone has been one of my favorites for a LONG time. Since I was probably about eight [Kevin's age]. ANYWAY, Home Alone is really, really funny, and it has a lot of great lines, and a great cast. It's a Christmas classic for a reason. Also, all of those creative traps that Kevin makes? Those are awesome. Watching an eight-year-old take out two bad guys is entertaining [and Harry and Marv, the aforemented bad guys are hilarious, too].Kevin's such a smart and resourceful kid. I feel like this is one of those movies everyone should see at least once. 
Random Fact/Story Related To Home Alone: Well, after we saw it for the first time, Amber and I set up traps all around the house. They were less deadly than Kevin's, but still. Our parents didn't think it was as funny as we did. XD.
Die Hard


So, there's this big debate about whether Die Hard is a Christmas movie or not, to which I say OF COURSE IT IS. First of all, there's Christmas music, and the atmosphere is just very Christmas-y, plus, despite all the violence and killing, it is about John McClane saving his wife, Holly. Again, the dialogue is great, and Hans Gruber [played by Alan Rickman] is one of my favorite movie villains. He's so charming yet so dangerous. 
Random Fact/Story Related To Die Hard: Amber and I came up with Die Hard: The Ballet. It was pretty hilarious. And really, really weird. Xd. 
Christmas Vacation
Christmas Vacation is another movie that's just fun. It's hilarious, and has a lot of really great slapstick comedy, in particular. Again, it has an all-star cast [including Juliette Lewis, who plays Audrey, and Chevy Chase, who plays Clark], and it always gets me into the Christmas spirit. Again, it has a lot of fantastic quotes.
Random Fact/Story Related To Christmas Vacation: Hmmmm, well, both times we've watched it, we stayed up super late. 
The Polar Express
Okay, so part of the reason this is on here is because I think my sister would kill me if I didn't include it. And, also, it's a good movie. The animation is a little strange, but it's still fun and sweet, and one of my very favorites. I've been watching it since I was a little girl, and I watch it with my family every Christmas Eve. 
The Christmas Chronicles
Okay, so there's a sequel to this that came out this year, but it's not as good in my opinion. This one is funny, dramatic, and chalk-full of Christmas spirit. It's somewhat lesser known, but still really good. It's just overall very Christmas-y and hopeful. And, also, Kurt Russell makes a great Santa Claus. That's just a fact. And I love the dynamic between Kate and Teddy----they seem like real siblings.
The Man Who Invented Christmas
This movie is spectacular. It's very different from most of the others on this list, but that doesn't mean I love it any less. It's about how Charles Dickens wrote A Christmas Carol, and it's pretty incredible. Also, as a writer myself, I loved seeing his writing process. The cast is amazing, and it's just such a unique and fantastic movie. Plus, Christopher Plummer makes a great Scrooge.
Mean Girls
Okay, so those of you who have seen it [and probably even those who haven't] are probably thinking, ''Um, McKayla, why did you put this down as a Christmas movie? It isn't even about Christmas or winter!'' and I agree with you. As much as I love this movie, it isn't a Christmas movie, BUT there are several super iconic scenes that involve Christmas like the ''Four for Glenn Cocoa, you go Glenn Cocoa'' scene, the scene at the Winter Talent Show where a kid throws a shoe at Damian and he throws it back, and when Gretchen kicks the speaker into Jason's face during the Plastic's dance to Jingle Bell Rock. And the whole candy cane storyline is pretty crucial to the plot.

If you couldn't tell by now, I really, really love Christmas movies. These are just my top favorites. There's a lot of other great ones. If you can think of one that I might like, feel free to recommend it to me. 
Merry Early Christmas, everybody! 
 

Comments

  1. Mean Girls works in basically every season honestly! Love this post, Elf and Home Alone are both so good. Die Hard is 100% a Christmas movie. Hans is a fantastic villian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I think that's part of why I love it. Aw, thank you.
    They're both fantastic! *nods*
    Oh, absolutely. He's an amazing villain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Die Hard is one of those movies that everyone talks about, but I've never seen. I like Alan Rickman, but didn't know that he was in there! I really liked reading this post and all of the stories that go with each of the movies. Especially the Home Alone one. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good movie, but it is R-rated, and has a lot of violence and language. I like him, too. He was such a good actor.
    Thanks so much.
    Haha, that was fun. I'll always remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen most of these movies but I wouldn't call them my favorites though I do like Die hard, in fact, on Christmas day, I rewatched all the Die Hard movies except #5 - that one is really bad. Die Hard is definitely a christmas movie to me.

    Have a lovely 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, cool. Die Hard is so good! That sounds fun. I definitely consider Die Hard a Christmas movie, too.
    Thanks! You too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite of the movies you listed has to be The Man Who Invented Christmas I really loved the acting and related to the main character. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a really good movie! I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this list! I should add Mean Girls to my Christmas list. There's a couple on here that I haven't seen, one being Die Hard and I've been meaning to watch it for forever

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! You definitely should.
    Ooh, it's such a good movie! It's my sister's all-time favorite movie, actually.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag

August Recap