10 Life Lessons I Learned From Anne Shirley

 I remember very clearly when I first read Anne of Green Gables. I was around 7 or 8.  My dad had been going shopping [probably for groceries or hardware or something], and, for whatever reason, my sisters and I had to go with him. There were a lot of coloring books at the checkout area, so my dad said that we could each pick out a coloring book, and he'd buy it for us. I've never been much of an artist in the traditional sense, so I was busy looking at all the books they had. They were abridged versions of classics, and I was immediately drawn to the cover of one book: Anne of Green Gables. So, I asked my dad if I could have that book instead of a coloring book, and he said yes. Ever since I read her first monologue [the one about how she'd sleep in a tree if Matthew didn't come], I fell in love with Anne Shirley, and her story. By the time she got to the point where she told Marilla that her favorite part of the day was bedtime so she could imagine things, I knew we were kindred spirits. 
Because, you see, Anne was a lot like me. She was smart, she had a huge imagination and a tendency to get herself into trouble. She was dramatic and impulsive with a strong temper. She was independent and self-sufficient, but she still wanted a dress with puffed sleeves. Oh, and she talked all the time. I adored reading about all of her adventures [and, later, watching the '80s Anne of Green Gables, and Anne With An E], and I learned quite a few valuable lessons [somehow, lessons can be more meaningful when it happens to characters you can relate to. Y'know, like, it's something you can actually learn]. So, anyway, here's ten lessons I learned from Anne Shirley.
#1: Appreciate The Little Things
Before Matthew and Marilla adopted her, Anne was an orphan, who barely had any material possesisions. Even afterwards, while Matthew and Marilla weren't poor, they weren't rich either, so they didn't have the money to buy Anne lots of things, or take her on lots of trips to the theater or to town. Still, Anne appreciated the small things. She took joy in just about everything, no matter how small it was, and that's a great thing to do.
#2: Having A Big Imagination Is Key To Having An Interesting Life
Anne's massive imagination is one of her defining traits, and it does sometimes get her into trouble. However, Anne was never boring, and she was an expert storyteller, proving once and for all that big imaginations are good. Plus, when she was at the orphanage, it gave her a way to pass the time. Thank you, Anne Shirley, for making it cool for those of us who imagine just as many things as she does.
#3: It's Okay To Be A Little Dramatic
Anne's dramaticism goes hand in hand with her imagination. Her reactions to just about everything are extreme. She was definitely told she was a bit 'much' sometimes, and it also got her into trouble, but her tendency to overreact wasn't presented as this huge flaw [which it so often is. Think of how many people are called 'dramatic' as an insult]. Again, some people appreciate dramatic, and other people don't, but it's nice to see it not being portrayed as bad for once. 
#4: Never Let Anyone Push You Around
Nobody messed with Anne, and, if they did, she called them out on it at once. Sure, cracking a slate over someone's head or calling someone "fat and gossipy without a spark of imagination" is a bit much, but always stand up for yourself and others.
#5: But Be Careful Not To Go Too Far
Anne's stubbornness caused her to stay mad at Gilbert for years, her impulsivity got her into many problems that she could have otherwise avoided, her temper caused her to lash out, and be way too harsh, and her daydream-y personality and dramatic tendencies caused problems as well, proving that too much of a good thing can be bad.
#6: It's Okay To Make Mistakes
OK, so plenty of fictional heroes and heroines make mistakes, but they were bigger mistakes [like, accidentally murdering someone], while Anne's mistakes were smaller, and they weren't out of malice, they were usually accidents, much like lots of mistakes that I make. Because, see, I make mistakes a lot, but I'm [unfortunately] not the heroine of a fantasy novel, so mine were on a much smaller scale, and it was nice to see another character make the same type of mistakes I did.
#7: You Can Be Feminine and Still Smart and Strong
Anne was the tied for role of top student at the Avonlea Schoolhouse, and she was nearly fearless [walking the roof because Josie Pye dared her to, and running into a burning building in Anne With An E]. She was also a hopeless romantic who loved flowers and beautiful things, and really, really wanted a dress with puffed sleeves. Again, there are lots of characters like this, but, like I said, Anne made a massive impression on me.
#8: Always Be On the Look-Out For a Kindred Spirit
Ah, kindred spirits. If you've never heard the term 'kindred spirit' before, it means someone who you just understand [almost like you've met them before, even if you haven't]. Anne found many kindred spirits throughout the book, and definitely inspired me to start looking for some. And, as I'll gladly tell anyone, sometimes they can be hard to find, but it's so worth it when you find one. Anyone can be one: Bloggers, friends, fictional characters, celebrities, etc. 
#9: Always Be Yourself
Anne was always unique, even when it was hard. And she ended up one of the most iconic fictional characters ever. Since most of us aren't in a book, it won't work out exactly like that for most of us, but you should always be yourself, no matter how cheesy that sounds. Like what you like, be who you are, and embrace your flaws, whether that's shyness, clumsiness or a specific physical feature you don't like [Anne's red hair and freckles, for example]. 
#10: And, Lastly, Never Give Up Hope
In a world where optimism is looked down upon, it can be hard to find people who don't think it's stupid to believe the best can happen. It can definitely be hard to stay optimistic in hard times [like COVID, for example], but think of Anne. She was an orphan who never went to school, yet she somehow managed to stay optimistic. If she can, surely I can, too. 
And there you have it. Ten life lessons I learned from Anne Shirley. 
What are some life lessons you learned from fictional characters? Which characters have inspired you? 
Oh, and feel free to steal this idea if you want to. I'd love to see what you guys come up with.
Farewell, for now.













Comments

  1. This was so sweet! I love Anne Shirley too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! Anne Shirley is amazing and I love your list of lessons learned from her! Especially the parts about imagination, optimism, and being yourself. One of my favorite things that she says is, " Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? ", so I'm glad that you talked about how relatable she is when it comes to making mistakes. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad!
    That's such a great quote, isn't it? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate to Anne so much. :) And I loved reading your post, I relate to #2. :D
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too. She's a lot like me, or I guess I should say I'm a lot like her. Same here. I'm always using my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne is amazing!
    I love how much you relate to her and how you incorporated it in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She definitely is.
    Thanks. It was such a fun post to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne with an E broke my heart can't believe it was cancelled.
    Anne is such a great character.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me either. I really love it. It's heartbreaking but amazing.
    She is! I love her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag