5 Reasons Why You Should Listen To Bring It On: The Musical

 Greetings, everyone! So, if you read my December recap, you'll know that I've recently become obsessed with Bring It On: The Musical. I sing the songs almost nonstop. That's how good it is. However, the fanbase is virtually nonexistant, so I'm making a good solid list of reasons why you should listen to it.
Basically, the story is about high school senior and the captain of the Truman Cheer Squad, Campbell, who's determined to have her team win Nationals, and finally feel like she's accomplished something. Then she gets transferred to Jackson High. However, the next two girls in line to become cheer captain (Skylar and Kylar) flunk and get mono, respectively, leaving Eva as the cheer captain, and Campbell begins to suspect foul play. Still determined to win Nationals, she puts together a cheer squad for Jackson High, and attempts to lead them to victory. 
#1: It Portrays Cheerleading In A Positive Light
How many movies have you seen where cheerleaders are portrayed as ditzy, shallow mean girls?
Quite a few, right?
I've never gone to public school, and it's definitely possible that some cheerleaders are mean-spirited, but cheerleading is incredibly time consuming, and takes a lot of work and talent. Cheerleaders have to work hard. Imagine how you'd feel if you spent hours working on cheerleading really well only for people to tell you that it's stupid or not a real sport. 
In Bring It On, cheerleading is presented as a legitimate extracurricular [like football or music or art]. And it also presents the struggles that cheerleaders go though. Campbell is often put down because she's a cheerleader. When she gets transferred to Jackson, she has trouble getting people to join the squad. I love how this musical presents cheerleading. 
#2: You Probably Know At Least One Cast or Crew Member
I know I'm not the only one here who watches/reads/listens to things because I'm a fan of the writer or director or actor/actress. 
First of all, it was co-written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Yup, you heard right. Lin-Manuel Miranda. So, really, this should be all I have to say for why you should listen to it [come on, the man's a musical genius]. but you also may recognize some of the cast members.
See the girl on the left wearing green? That's Taylor Louderman, who originated the role of Regina George in Mean Girls: The Musical. And the girl on the right is Elle McLemore, who played Heather McNamara in Heathers: The Musical.
And that's Kate Rockwell, who played Karen Smith in Mean Girls; The Musical. 
So, if you're a fan of any of them [or, like me, all of them], then definitely listen to it. You may know some of the other cast members, too, so definitely check out the cast list, if you want to hear some of your favorite performers. 
#3: The Songs Are All Super Catchy
Is there a better reason to listen to a musical? Okay, there probably is, but I can almost guarantee that these songs will get stuck in your head. I was singing "Killer Instinct" the other day. I cannot hear one of the songs without at least humming along. 
In my opinion, the best songs are "What I Was Born to Do", "Killer Instinct", "Bring It On", "Something Isn't Right Here", "Eva's Rant" and "Cross the Line", but they're all amazing. 
#4: It's a Sweet Musical
So, this one is hard to explain. As I said in a few other posts (or maybe I didn't? I honestly don't remember), I love hard-hitting, intense dramas, but I also love sweeter, more lighthearted stories. If you're feeling down, the songs are a great way to lighten up your day, but, with that being said, it's not completely fluffy. It has a semi-predictable plot, but the actors really make it work, plus I love a good underdog story. And one of the songs (I believe it was One Perfect Moment) almost made me cry. But, y'know, in a good way. 
#5: It Needs a Bigger Fanbase
I mentioned this before, but I believe that there are five Ao3 fanfics about this musical. And I never hear anyone talk about it. Which is weird, because it has almost everything needed to make a musical popular. So, I definitely think this musical needs to be shown some more love. 
 I'm definitely capitol-O Obsessed with this musical, so if you decide to listen to it, or have listened to it, be sure to comment what you think of it.
Until Next Time

Comments

  1. I've never heard of this one! To be fair there's quite a few I haven't of before, but I'll have to remember this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lesser-known one, I think. I hadn't heard of it either until the end of last month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lin-Manuel Miranda? That's all you usually need to say to get me to listen to a musical. I will definitely listen to it sometime soon!
    Yeah, usually cheerleading is shown as something that "mean" people do, and while, like you, I've never been in a public school (or seen live cheerleading for that matter) it's very unlikely that people are like that. It takes some courage to do those things! I like the movies Zombies and Zombies 2 because they show variety in people in cheerleading, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. It's the same for me. Ooh, yay! I can't wait to hear what you think of it.
    Exactly! I mean, I'm sure there are some people who do cheerleading and are mean, but it's not like only mean girls are cheerleaders. Absolutely! All those flips in the air and stuff.
    Oh, that's awesome. I've never seen either of the Zombies movies, but they sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen the movie but didn't know there was a musical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of the movie, but never seen it. I should add it to be to-be-watched list.
    The musical is really good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag