Movie Review: Clueless

 Hi, everybody! Last year Movie Critic recommended Clueless to me, and I really did mean to get around to it, but then I completely forgot that I had wanted to watch it. Flash forward to a couple of weeks ago, when I saw the trailer for it, and thought, ''Oh, this looks good. I'll consider it as one of my options the next time it's my turn to choose for movie night.'' You can probably guess where that leads up to, so I'll spare you the boring details and start the review.
Clueless was written and directed by Amy Heckerling and stars Alicia Silverstone, Stacey Dash, Brittany Murphy, Paul Rudd, Donald Faison, Elisa Donovan, Breckin Meyer, Jeremy Sisto, Dan Heydaya, Aida Linares, Wallace Shawn, and Justin Walker.
Summary: Cher Horowitz, a popular and seemingly shallow Beverly Hills teen, must use her hidden wit, intelligence and compassion to deal with the highs and the lows of her life, whether that's a C in debate, trying to set up her new friend, wondering why Christian doesn't seem interested in her, or trying to figure out the confusing relationship between her and her ex-step brother, Josh.
My Thoughts: 
This movie is a '90s classic that I think everyone should see at least once. First of all, it's a modern retelling of Emma, which is cool. Oh, and you get to see Paul Rudd before he was Ant-Man, and Wallace Shawn after he was Vizzini in The Princess Bride
What I Liked:
-The fact that it was a retelling and a retelling of Emma, which made it even better. 
I've only read part of the book, but, so far, it's my favorite Jane Austen story [I mean, to be fair, I haven't read that many, but I have seen the movie adaptations of Emma and Pride and Prejudice, and I've read Sense and Sensibility]. I loved how seeing it modernized.
-Cher, herself. While she was definitely a little bratty, she made for an entertaining heroine. And she seemed to genuinely learn from her mistakes most of the time. Plus, she may look like your typical Regina George, but she grows to be much more selfless.
-The humor
Both Cher and Josh are very snarky, especially with each other, which is very entertaining. Also, so many lines are so clever and funny. It's pretty quotable, too. The humor is kind of like the humor in Mean Girls to give you a better idea of what it's like.
-All the '90s styles.

Yellow plaid will probably remain a staple in my wardrobe for, oh, I don't know, forever
Come to think of it, Cher is a character I could actually cosplay as. My hair's not quite that long, but it is blonde. 
-I mentioned this earlier, also, but getting to see Paul Rudd when he was younger. That was fun. 
-Really, the whole movie was just fun. The dialogue and banter was great, the cast all did a great job, and it's great for if you want to see something funny and light-hearted.
What I Disliked
-There wasn't much I disliked. It's not like it's my all-time favorite movie, but it's good, and I really liked it, and I can't think of anything that hindered my enjoyment of it. I'd recommend it to fans of Jane Austen [especially Emma], Mean Girls, teen movies in general, comedies, or just someone who's really bored, and wants a movie to see.
So, have you seen Clueless? What were your thoughts on it?

Comments

  1. Clueless is so good. It really is a 90s movie and it's just fun to watch really when I get around to it. I think Emma might be my favourite Jane Austen book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I love movies like that.
      Cool. Emma's certainly an entertaining character.

      Delete
  2. I liked Clueless, although the ending of Cher and Josh together still kind of weirds me out (even if they aren't technically related).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the ending was a little weird. It didn't bother me that much, since they weren't actually related, but it's still a bit weird, if you think about it.

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite movies! It's so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I really love this movie ! It is such a great retelling of Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that there are so many gifs for a movie this old! Great job incorporating those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are gifs for pretty much everything.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen Clueless, but I enjoyed reading your review. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag