Hamilton: An Extremely Late Review

 So, a few weeks ago, I finally saw Hamilton, and I have thoughts about it. Hence this post.
Creator: Lin-Manuel Miranda
Cast: Lin-Manuel Miranda, Daveed Diggs, Anthony Ramos, Leslie Odom Jr., Renee Elise Goldsberry, Phillipa Soo, Jonathan Groff, Christopher Jackson, Jasmine Cephas Jones, Okieriete Onaodown
Rating: PG-13, if you watch it on Disney +. 
Genre: Historical musical.
My Thoughts: 
I came very late to the Hamilton craze [yet again. I feel like that happens with most fandoms that I'm in]. I only listened to the soundtrack last year, and only just watched it. I'm really glad that I did, though. It was fun.
What I Liked:
-The music
The songs in Hamilton are all so good, and super catchy. I think it says a lot about the quality of the musical that my mom [who isn't a fan of hip-hop or musicals] really enjoyed it. Some of my favorite songs were ''Guns and Ships'', ''Burn'', ''Satisfied'', ''My Shot'', ''The Room Where It Happens'', ''Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story'' and ''Dear Theodosia.''
-The cast
Pretty much everybody did a fantastic job. Lin-Manuel Miranda was amazing, and made Hamilton fairly sympathetic, Phillipa Soo was gentle and adorable, Renee Elise Goldsberry had a much bolder presence, which fit for Angelica, Jonathan Groff was just hilarious, Daveed Diggs was absolutely incredible [seriously. He played two major roles in Hamilton, and he was awesome in both of them]. The rest of the cast was fantastic, too. 10/10 acting. 
-The story
See, I knew a little bit about the Revolutionary War [a combination of history, and all the Liberty's Kids, and the American Girl Felicity series], but not a lot about Hamilton as a person. That made this really interesting to watch. 
-The originality
It was just such a cool, original idea, and I loved it. I mean, who would've thought of telling the story of Alexander Hamilton in musical form with hip-hop music.  Apparently it took Lin-Manuel Miranda seven years to write all the songs, which is impressive. 
What I Disliked:
I don't really have anything big that I dislike about it. I mean, there are definitely things that I wasn't super happy about, but those are events in history, so it's not like Lin-Manuel Miranda could change that. 
I have no complaints about what the story was like.
I think Hamilton earns five stars from me for being a very unique story, giving me lots of feels, and for not having any huge flaws, in my opinion.
So, have you seen Hamilton? What were your thoughts on it?


Comments

  1. this review was so fun to read! i love hamilton, too and it definitely gets 5 stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's such a great musical, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I absolutely loved it! Such a great musical!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should watch this! I've only listened to the soundtrack, but my older sister has seen it and loved it. Even just through listening, Jonathan Groff was hilarious so I can only imagine that he would be more so with a visual. ''Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story" is probably my favorite song. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you should. It's really good. Oh, he is. He's hilarious.
      Great choice! It's a really good song. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Fun review. I agree that Daveed Diggs was incredible with nailing two huge roles. I am not a huge musical fan (even though I am a big history nerd) and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He really was, and he was great as both of them. It's always cool when you find stories that you like in genre that usually aren't your thing.

      Delete
  5. It's on the Disney + watchlist. It's just finding time to sit down and watch it. Everybody I've talked to who has seen it has loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that. It's hard to find time for things sometimes(and this is a pretty long movie). I hope you like it, when/if you see it. I thought it was really good.

      Delete
  6. I came to Hamilton really late too but it's so good!! Also the dedication he had to work seven years on the songs is amazing. It definitely paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! and I tagged you for a tag I made called 'Running Wild In Impractical Outfits' if you want to do it.

      Delete
    2. It really is. Absolutely. Seven years is such a long time.
      Oh, thank you. I'll be sure to check it out.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag