Book and Movie Comparison: P.S I Still Love You

 Greetings! I just finished the second book in my To All the Boys I've Loved Before re-read, and now it's time to share my thoughts about it.
Summary [taken from Goodreads]: Lara-Jean and Peter were just pretending. Until they weren't. Now Lara-Jean has to learn what it's like to be in a real-life relationship---not a make-believe one. But when another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean's feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once? 
My Thoughts: P.S I Still Love You is a fine book overall. It's not perfect, and it's not as good as the first one, but it's still a decent book, and I did enjoy reading it.
What I Liked:
-The cover
I know, I know, don't judge a book by its cover, but this cover is very pretty. 
-Kitty!
Kitty continues to be an absolute gem. Like when she suggests making the Valentine's Day cakes look all bloody. 
-I also really liked John Ambrose McClaren.
I thought he was really sweet, and an interesting new character.
-I really liked the part about Lara-Jean getting more involved at the nursing home, especially the vintage-themed dance.
-I enjoyed the parts with Kitty trying to set up her dad and Mrs. Rothschild. It was a fun plot, and I'm kind of a sucker for the kids play matchmaker trope.
-I also liked how Peter and Lara Jean reunited with some of their old friends. That was fun, and I wish it was explored more.
What I Disliked:
-The main conflict. 
I don't like love triangles at all, and I hated the way Lara Jean and Peter's breakup was handled. I think that, while in most circumstances, Peter telling Lara Jean Gen's secret would be a bad thing, but she's his ex-girlfriend, who has a history of trying to get them to break up and then he's suddenly hanging out with her again and not telling her why, I think he should have given her a reason. Lara Jean has a right to be mad, 
However, she also didn't handle the situation very well. It was just a mess all-around.
-Lara Jean and Peter also kind of annoyed me in this book. I did enjoy them, but they also annoyed me.
I think that's everything. I think my rating would be 3 1/2 or 4 stars. 
The Movie
My Thoughts: From an adaptation standpoint, it was decent. It wasn't totally book-accurate, but it was pretty close and at least kept the theme of the story. 
What I Liked:
-Kitty
While Kitty may be a lot different from her book counterpart, she's still a fun character to watch onscreen.
-Stormy
I may have liked her even better than in the book. She was just a great addition to the movie. Holland Taylor did a fantastic job.
-I also loved all of the stuff between Doctor Covey and Mrs. Rothschild. They make a cute couple, although I would've liked to see more of them.
-There are some really cute scenes between Lara Jean and Peter
-The cast all does a great job. Each of them fit their role so well! I was so excited to see that Jordan Fisher was in this! He did an excellent job. 
-Also, the few scenes between Chris and Trevor. They also make a cute couple, and I thiiink I like movie Chris better than book Chris.
-The dress that Lara Jean wears at the dance near the end. It's gorgeous
What I Disliked: 
-I cannot stress how much I don't like the main plot. Love triangles aren't my thing, and I felt like it was pretty shallow and made everyone involved seem like a horrible person.
-I also feel like this story didn't translate as well as the first one. I'm not sure why, but I just didn't enjoy it as much.
To All The Boys: P.S I Still Love You gets a solid 3 stars from me. It's not bad, but it's not great either, in my opinion.
Have you read or seen P,S I Still Love You?

Comments

  1. I also really don't like love triangles either, there is something really annoying about them.

    I really enjoyed reading your comparison between the book and the movie. 💕
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, love triangles are annoying.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Kitty was the best part of this movie no one can convince me otherwise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I also despise love triangle too. Almost ruined Hunger Games to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The love triangle in The Hunger Games was pretty bad, but at least the story was interesting. I've seen worse love triangles.

      Delete
  4. Love Kitty just being the star as she should be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...This is my favorite of the three because I love John Ambrose and ship him and Lara Jean. XD Which is so weird because usually I hate love triangles, too? I almost want to read these books just for Kitty because she sounds even more hilarious there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that! John Ambrose is great! Honestly, if you're reading the books for her, it should be fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag