Pride Month Recommendations

Hi everyone! Since it's Pride Month, I decided I wanted to do a recommendations list, like I did last year. 
So, let's get into it.
#1: Aristotle and Dante Discover The Secrets of the Universe
This book is a coming-of-age book set in the '80s about a teenage boy named Aristotle and his friendship with a boy named Dante. This book is one of my favorites. It's very well-written and almost....poetic. I love both of the main characters and their friendship. There's a lot of hype around this one and I think it wholly deserves it. Also, Lin Manuel Miranda narrates the audiobook, so you should definitely listen to the audiobook. 
#2: Rebel Robin
Rebel Robin is a prequel set during Will's disappearance, focusing on Robin's story. For a TV-based book with no supernatural elements, I thought it was pretty good. I think A.R Carpetta does a great job writing Robin. She's such an interesting character, and I loved getting to read her perspective and getting to know her a little better. Also, I love how Robin is such a clueless lesbian at the beginning part of the book, just because the clueless gay/bisexual character is one that I can really relate to, so I enjoy reading about it. Also, I love the little cameos of various different Stranger Things characters. 
#3: Sweet and Bitter Magic
This story is about Tamsin----a witch cursed with the inability to feel and Wren-----a source, someone who's full of magic but can't use it, team up together to catch the evil witch responsible for causing a plague in their queendom.
I love a good high fantasy book, and I wish there were more gay high fantasy books. I love both of the characters-----though I tend to prefer Wren, I thought the plot was really interesting, I love the magic system, and I love the romance. I don't get why there wasn't a lot of hype about it, because it 100% deserves it.
#4: Great or Nothing
Great or Nothing is a Little Women retelling set in the 1940's. I know there were a lot of mixed opinions on this book, but I really enjoyed it. There were so many interesting parts to this book. I love how Beth's sections were written----it's written in poetry from beyond the grave, which is so interesting. I loved Amy's character and storyline-----she seems much less bratty and more mature in this version. I also love how Jo was written. Seeing her struggle with her writing and with her sexuality was so well-written and also kind of relatable to me. Also, all of the romances were super cute.
#5: I Kissed Shara Wheeler
I Kissed Shara Wheeler is about how, when the school's most popular girl goes missing, she leaves a trail of clues for three people she kissed: her rival for valedictorian, Chloe, her rebellious best friend, Rory, and her kind boyfriend, Smith. This story is over-the-top and wild and such a fun ride and there are so many queer characters. Seriously, I think almost everyone in this book was queer. I'm not a big fan of the main romance, but I love the rest of the book and definitely recommend it. 
So, that's my list. Have you read any of them? Which ones would you recommend to me?

Comments

  1. These are some good recommendations, I will have to check them out. :D
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you do this each Pride month!

    Lin Manuel Miranda narrating the audiobook for Aristotle and Dante Discover The Secrets of the Universe is all you needed to say. I'm sold! It looks like they're making a movie of it, too? Cool!

    Great or Nothing sounds fabulous. I'm always down for more Little Women! Setting it in the 40s and it being on this list add cool elements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's like a tradition at this point.
      It's a good book and it's made better by the fact that Lin Manuel Miranda narrates it.
      It's such a unique book, and I highly recommend it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag