Movie Review: Do Revenge

 Hey, all! It's fall and I'm back and better than ever. 
No, but seriously I've been feeling extra inspired lately, and it's great. It's been awhile since I've done a movie review, so I thought I'd do one now. 
Cast: Camila Mendes, Maya Hawke, Austin Abrams, Rish Shah, Talia Ryder, Alisha Boe, Ava Capri, Sophie Turner, Sarah Michelle Geller
Director: Jennifer Kayton Robinson
Writers: Celeste Ballard, Jennifer Kayton Robinson
Rating: TV-MA
Summary: After her nudes are leaked by her boyfriend, Max [Austin Abrams], Drea Torres [Camila Mendes] is furious about becoming a social outcast and the fact that Max isn't facing any consequences for his actions. Then she meets Eleanor [Maya Hawke], a girl who's lonely and angry after being outed as a lesbian and having a false rumor about her being a predator was spread. Drea and Eleanor decide to team up and each get revenge on each others bullies. 
My Thoughts: I'm gonna be honest: I loved this movie. I didn't know that I needed it, but clearly I did. If you want a fun, campy. over-the-top movie with unlikable characters, then you'll likely love this one. 
First of all, I love the cast. Not gonna lie, half the reason I wanted to watch this movie was because Maya Hawke has owned a solid portion of my heart since Stranger Things and she was fantastic in this movie.
 Camila Mendes was also amazing, and I love that she's getting more acting opportunities outside of Riverdale, since she's actually super talented [although, it cracks me up that she's still playing characters who are supposed to be around my age and she's more than a decade older than me]. Also, Sarah Michelle Geller! I was freaking out when I saw her in this movie cuz she's amazing. Sophie Turner also had, like, two scenes and they were probably my favorite part of the movie. Really, everyone did a great job, so me not specifically mentioning people doesn't mean I thought they were bad! Because they weren't. 
The costume design was also really cool. I love the bright color palette and unique outfits and makeup looks and I just want to own most of it. 
I really liked most of the characters. They were all kind of unlikable, but that was part of the fun. Drea and Eleanor were both interesting protagonists. Russ is nice and has blue hair, so I like him. Gabi was also pretty cool----like outwardly tough, but secretly soft. 
The dialogue and overall humor in this movie was great. Usually, the lampshading tropes/self-aware humor isn't really my thing, but it was done pretty good here. It was still a little bit much for me, but it wasn't bad.
The romances in this movie were also super cute. They were a very small part of the movie, but I liked them and thought they were cute. 
Also loved the casual diversity. A lot of the characters are non-white and/or queer and I thought that was cool.
The soundtrack was also amazing. I knew most of the songs, which I was so excited about, since that rarely happens.
There were also so many little homages to popular movies, and I thought that was really cool. It's a small detail, but it's a cool one. 
Again, this movie just made me happy, and it was just a good time. I had a lot of fun. 
So, let's talk. Have you seen Do Revenge? Do you plan on seeing it? Also, what movies have you watched recently 'cuz I need recommendation?
This has no relation to the rest of the post, but we all need more Maya in our lives. You're welcome.



Comments

  1. I really enjoyed this blog post! I loved Do Revenge, thought it was well made, and the acting was very good <3 I would definitely watch it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Agreed, it was a good movie. Same here.

      Delete
  2. I was surprised by this one, I was expecting it to be really bad. But they did a really good job with it and paid homage to all the greats. I loved the pastel palette too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It was way better than I was expecting. They did. I always love when movies have bright/pastel color palettes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag