Character of the Day: Mazikeen

 Hello everyone! I used to do this series on this blog called Character of the Day, and I decided that I wanted to do it again, so, without further, ado, let's get started.
I've been re-watching Lucifer lately, and I just adore Maze, so the first post in this new series is dedicated to her. Love you, Mazie.
Fast Facts: 
For those of you who haven't watched the show [or read the comics that the show was based on], Mazikeen  is a demon and head-torturer in Hell, as well as the loyal right-hand woman to Lucifer Morningstar [yes, that Lucifer. The devil]. Her initial goal is to get Lucifer to go back to Hell, but she eventually finds happiness on Earth, including getting a job as a bounty hunter for the LAPD, and becoming friends with Linda [Lucifer's therapist] and Trixie [the daughter of the show's deurotagonist, Chloe Decker]. She has a brief romance with Amenadiel [Lucifer's angel brother], but she still has feelings for him that last a few seasons. Later, she finds a more long-lasting romance with Eve [again, yes, that Eve].
If you want to get an even better idea of what her character is like, I recommend this video. It's only about ten minutes long, and I think it's hilarious, but I think I covered all of the necessary details, so you don't have to watch it if you don't want to. 
Why I Like Her
She's a Total Badass
Okay, yes, I will add more complex reasons for why I like her later on, but let's just talk about how awesome she is first. She's a wicked fighter, and the show includes so many different fight scenes that showcase just how talented she is. As all of you know, I love a good woman warrior character, and Maze fits the bill 100%. 
She's Hilarious
If you thought the idea of a demon adjusting to the human world would be very funny, you'd be right. Maze's first instinct to solve any problem is with violence. She's also kind of a massive hedonist, which isn't necessarily funny, but with her it is. How many people do you know who put vodka in cereal? Along with Lucifer, the fact that she just constantly brings up sex makes for some great situations. 
Plus, she's just so awkward about regular human things, and, tbh, it's kind of adorable. 
She Genuinely Loves Her Friends
Okay, maybe the way she often shows that love is by threatening to stab anyone who hurts her friends, but you can tell that she genuinely cares about 'her people'. She and Trixie have a great, wholesome bond that's super adorable to watch. I also love her friendship with Linda. You wouldn't think they'd have anything in common, but they work so well together. Even though she initially disliked Chloe, she clearly cares about her, too. And, of course, no matter how annoying she finds him, she'll always watch out for Lucifer [and, boy, does he need it]. 
She Has A Great Character Arc
In addition to what I mentioned above about her becoming more friendly, she also learns to become more vulnerable. She has massive abandonment issues, stemming from when her mother essentially left her as a child, plus the fact that she and Lucifer used to be extremely close, but he now has made other relationships and has a tendency to leave her out of things makes her both guarded and clingy. She's extremely hesitant to trust anyone, and often puts up a tough front, but she also tends to latch on to the people who do care about her rather strongly. 
Eventually, as the series goes on, she learns to be more open with her emotions, and she learns to trust people more. I think it starts in Season Two when Linda accepts her as a friend, despite her being a demon, as well as the fact that Trixie just thinks she's the coolest person ever [even when she sees her demon face]. 
And then there's her romance with Eve, which she's hesitant to get into because she doesn't want Eve to get hurt, but, eventually, she starts to open, and I ship them by the end of the show.
She's a Fashion Icon
Since we've had a lot of serious reasons for why I think she's awesome, I wanted to add a more fun one, and say that I love her style. It suits her personality so well. I love all of the black leather clothing, and she always wears some fun outfits. I also love all of her different makeup looks.
She's Great Representation
Okay, maybe great is pushing it a bit, but I love getting to see more non-straight characters in mainstream TV shows. She's pansexual, which is a sexuality that doesn't get a whole lot of representation [if you don't know what that means, basically pansexual is when you're attracted to multiple genders, similarly to bisexuality, but without any type of gender preference. Basically, they're sometimes described as gender-blind in who they date]. While she may be kind of morally ambiguous, as well as being a literal demon, her queerness is never presented as any kind of flaw. Hell, if anything, being in a relationship with Eve makes her a better person, er, demon. She was one of the first LGBTQ+ characters I saw as a TV regular, so I'll always love that about her.
She Inspires Me
Okay, yes, I'll admit it. She's kind of a weird character to find inspiring. I have mentioned the whole morally ambiguous demon thing, right? But she inspires me to be brave and badass. She inspires me to speak my mind. She inspires me to open up and be more vulnerable with people. She proves that even if you're the least likely person for anyone to think of as a hero, you can still be one. 
So, those are my thoughts on Maze. How her character is written frustrates me sometimes, but I really like her character.
Let's talk. Have you seen Lucifer? If so, what are your thoughts on Maze? Who are your favorite characters from the show? If not, did I do a good job describing her to you all? 


Comments

  1. Ah, yes! I've missed this series on your blog! I've only seen a few clips of Maze, but she seems like such a great character <3 And if I ever decide to watch the show, I'm sure she'll be a favorite. Especially after reading this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maze is fun. I hope you end up watching the show. I have a feeling you'd really like Chloe and Amenadiel.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen Lucifer, but going by what you said, it seems like an entertaining show! I'll need to look into it. Maze sounds like a character I'd like too, and I noticed that she has some similarities with Ziva (NCIS). This was a great post; you described the character very well! I often have trouble describing characters. I'm looking forward to seeing more posts from this series! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very entertaining. We should add that to the list of things we're going to watch when you visit next.
      You know, when I think about it, Maze is a little bit like Ziva!
      Aw, thank you! I'm excited to make more posts in this series.

      Delete
  3. Characters that came first always sit with you differently then others. I have a few characters like that too that will always stick with me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YouTube Videos That Make Me Happy

10 Fictional Characters I Relate To

Ten Things Of Ten Things Tag